Parents! Make sure you get to the City’s Parent Summit on Child Care
Wednesday November 19 at Toronto City Hall
and . . .Saturday November 22 at Etobicoke Civic Centre & Scarborough City Centre
SPEAK OUT AND HAVE YOUR SAY! LET THE DECISION MAKERS KNOW WHAT’S TRUELY IMPORTANT TO YOU!
Register for this summit today!
We hope the Parent Summits will be well attended and that Parents will share their concerns about high fees, the subsidy waitlist, and the challenges of finding and keeping child care that meets the needs of their families. This is an important opportunity for you, as Parents, to advocate for an affordable, accessible, high quality child care system, for ALL parents participating in the workforce or furthering their education. . .
PARENTS ATTENDING THE SUMMIT
Information and thoughts that may help you find your words:
QUALITY, AFFORDABILITY and ACCESS are all essential components of a high quality, stable child care space. DON’T MAKE US CHOOSE one or the other . . .
QUALITY CHILD CARE
- depends upon a well-educated and fairly compensated workforce
- Early Childhood Educators are KEY to our children’s early development
- a stable workforce (with low turnover) is essential for our childrens healthy development
- these early years and schoolage years are the most critical for every child’s development
AFFORDABLE CHILD CARE
- is a critical support for young working families
- parents should not have to choose between paying for child care or rent
- high parent fees are pushing young families into debt
- high parent fees are forcing many families into unlicensed settings
- Parent Fees for children of ALL AGES keep going up!
ACCESS TO CHILD CARE
- parents need to be able to find and keep affordable, quality child care that meets the needs of child & family
- parents need subsidies NOW – very long subsidy waiting lists leave parents stuck with high fees or on welfare
- children and parents need CONTINUTY in their child care – recent changes have led to finding childcare one year but losing it again the next as their child moves into another age group
- PARENTAL CHOICE – as their children are pushed from program to program!
PARENTS WERE PROMISED . . . AND PARENTS NEED . . .
Seamless programs and services from Infant through to Schoolage - but there is more disruption for children in their day and throughout the years than before.
Parental Choice - but many families are being forced into programs NOT of their choice or into unlicensed care
One Stop Entry into child care – but parents are hopping around piecing together child care like never before.